Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador, in his final press conference as the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), stressed that the Royal Malaysia Police (RMP) must remain a corps that safeguards the peace and integrity of the nation, simultaneously alluding to current widespread corruption. He also expressly disagreed with and rejected political intervention in the RMP’s leadership.
Meanwhile, the Securities Commission issued guidelines stating that politicians should not be appointed as Chairpersons or members of the Board of Directors in public listed companies. Such a practise also occurs in public universities.
IKRAM hereby supports the courage and firmness of government leaders in opposing any form of political intervention which leads to abuse of power in public services.
• IKRAM urges the government to handle with more seriousness integrity and corruption issues at all levels of leadership in the public sector and in government institutions.
• IKRAM urges that the appointment of senior leadership in the public sector be based on merit and competency and that these appointments meet the set criteria for such positions. IKRAM wishes that the government exercises transparency and fairness and adheres to outlined procedures in appointing government officials.
• Politicians should not be appointed to the Board of Directors in government-linked companies (GLCs).
• IKRAM urges that the dignity and integrity of the RPM be restored and that a commission to enhance the accountability and the integrity of its members be established immediately.
• IKRAM urges the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate the cases of political corruption as alleged by Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador.
• As a dakwah-oriented non-governmental organisation, IKRAM will continue to issue views and constructive suggestions to the government and to other relevant parties to safeguard the prosperity of the rakyat and the nation.
IKRAM also calls upon the rakyat to play its role in reminding leaders to uphold integrity and to reinforce its culture among leadership and in society. In this matter, IKRAM is committed to continuously educating the rakyat and empowering them in electing leaders based on integrity and competency for the benefit of the country.
Dr Hj Mohd Parid Sheikh Ahmad
Pertubuhan IKRAM Malaysia
Note: this is the English version of the press statement issued on 2 May 2021.